Saturday, May 16, 2020

ScoreCues YouTube Channel: The Ultimate Playlist Collection for Discovering Film, Television, and Video Game Scores

Article by Travis Elder
Posted December 2, 2017

ScoreCues YouTube Channel Playlist - 1993 - Best Film and Television Scores

By accident I got into listening to scores.  As a young teen in 1989, I bought the soundtrack to Batman.  I ended up with Danny Elfman's score.  I figured it would make good bed time listening.  Little did I know that this "bedtime" album would be my introduction to a musical artform I would come to appreciate for the next thirty years and counting. 

Back then, discovering new scores was nothing like today.  It was much harder.  At first, my selection was limited to the few cassettes I could afford and the rare movie I caught that let me hear the score in context.  One day, I discovered a gold mine of new scores at my local library, The Orem Public Library, in Orem, Utah.  I checked out dozens. For the first time, I had access to a literal library of scores. Along the way, I discovered works such as Basil Poledouris's Conan, James Horner's Star Trek II, and Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo.  I can still remember listening to James Horner's Star Trek II and wondering what happened to the awesome Star Trek theme from the first movie?  Needless to say, I was hooked.

Before long I got a job and could afford to buy more scores.  I remember going to a Sam Goody in 1993 at the University Mall and making a big purchase of CDs that included Total Recall, The Last of the Mohicans, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise.  During that same time, I discovered a local, specialty CD shop, Crandall Audio.  In addition to carrying a decent-sized film score section, they also had a feature that none of the big box stores had at the time: previewing albums before purchasing.  This was revolutionary.  Simply select a shrink-wrapped CD, and give it to the clerk who would then open the disc, and pop it in a CD player at a listening station.  It was great.  I remember seeking out and finding Toto's Dune, which I still have in my collection today. 

Fast forward about thirty years to the digital streaming age, and discovering great music scores has never been easier.  Several years ago I started a YouTube channel to collect my favorite film, television, and video game score cues in a variety of playlists, which currently number over 300.  These playlists fall into four main categories:    

Best of by Year (1976-2021)
Essentials Works by Composer (John Williams, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, and more)
Themed Playlists (Action, romance, minimalism, piano, great themes, sports, Star Trek, comic books, and more)
Franchise Highlights (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Terminator, Marvel Cinematic Universe, Battlestar Galactica, James Bond, Batman, and many more)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!