Wednesday, April 10, 2013

5 for $5: Romancing the Score

by Travis Elder


As a teenager I was all about the action score with their brawny percussion, orchestral blasts, propulsive rhythms, and general excitement.  Cues like My First Bus Ride from Alan Silvestri's The Mummy Returns and Hold Tighter! from Clint Mansell's Sahara are classic examples.  However, it seems the older I've gotten the more I have come to appreciate the softer, more tender romantic moments of a score as well.  That and my wife's tolerance for action scores only goes so far.  So darken the lights, light some soft candles, and prepare yourself for some musical romantic wooment.



Across the Stars by John Williams (Love Theme from Star Wars: Episode II) (5:33).  The romance between Padme and Annakin has always grated on my nerves to the point I can barely watch those scenes of fruit slicing in midair and frolicking with alien cows (my wife's viewpoint is very different on this point).  However, the theme John Williams composed to anchor the blossoming love between the two is nothing short of magnificent!

Love Scene by John Barry from Scarlet Letter (6:44).  John Barry's love theme for the Scarlet Letter is so lush and sonorous.  Just close your eyes and let the beauty caress your soul.  The cue is instantly recognizable as John Barry and bears resemblance to other works such as Dances with Wolves.  This in no way detracts because John Barry is a master of interpreting love musically. 

The Meadow - Love Theme by Alexandre Desplat from The Twilight Saga: New Moon (4:43).  I must admit that I have only seen the first half of the first Twilight movie.  I couldn't take anymore when Edward romantically says to Bella something to the effect of "I have been dying to drink your blood" (this time my wife and I are in agreement).  Alexandre Desplat's slightly melancholy piano based theme for Twilight: New Moon, however, is heart wrenchingly beautiful.  I have a soft spot for romantic piano music and Dennis McCarthy's arrangement linked to above is a faithful and lovely rendition.

The Portrait by James Horner from Titanic (4:43).  James Horner's theme for the romance between Rose and Jack is undoubtedly one of the most recognizable love themes of all time.  In The Portrait James Horner himself embraces the piano and gently plays the most tender, affectionate, and intimate version of the theme available.

Please Wait by Patrick Doyle from Frankenstein (3:21).  Finally, we come to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.  If you don't know it yet, horror works can generate some of the most melodious and romantic themes around and that is certainly true of the love theme Patrick Doyle composed for Frankenstein.  Though a sense of sadness emanates from Please Wait the gentleness of the strings ooze with passion and will enliven your senses.


Playlist total running time: 25:04
Total cost: $4.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!